Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pouch-a-Palooza

I've been wanting to share these for the last week or so, but every time I remembered it, I was working on another & decided it was better to share them all at once.

It all started when I decided to sign up for round three of the Pretty Little Pouch Swap (now that I think of it, I don't remember if I shared what I sent/received from round two since it was right around the time Coop was born), and my partner said she'd like a little frame coin purse. I've been wanting to try these for over a year, so I decided to just get over my fear & give it a go.

I started with this tutorial from OCD: Obsessive Crafting Disorder, except I drew my pattern on freezer paper instead of directly on my fabric. It worked out better since I was using scraps rather than charm squares, but mostly I wanted to be able to reuse my pattern instead of having to draw it every time. I also found this tutorial from U-Handbag.

My first attempt was with a sew in frame, but I couldn't get it to stay put to sew, so I just glued it in, which was probably better since it gave me practice for my PLPS pouch.

coin purse

coin purse

coin purse

I was pleasantly surprised by how quick & easy it came together, so as soon as the new frames were delivered, I dove right in to work on my swap pouch. I've got to tell you, I love how it turned out!

Pretty Little Pouch Swap - Round 3

I knew I also wanted to make a simple zip pouch, but with the zipper on the front rather than on the top. The few tutorials I found all ended up with exposed seams on the inside, which I didn't want, so I decided to figure out a pattern on my own. (Wouldn't you know it, I just found this tutorial that results in no exposed seams. Go figure! I still did mine differently though since I have no top seam - the back fabric just wraps up & over.)

My first attempt turned out exactly how I wanted (other than forgetting to top stitch the bottom half of the zipper - my own stupid fault) & I really like this style.

I should have made the zip ends match the outside, but it's okay for a practice pouch. I couldn't get a picture of the inside, but it's fully lined with no exposed seams.

IMGP0598

My PLPS partner said she likes elephants, so here's what I ended up making her:

Elephant pouch

Elephant pouch

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love this pouch! It turned out so much better than I was expecting & I really had the hardest time sending it off. But my partner loves it too, so it's worth it.

Since I got so hooked on the frame purses (and had ordered 7 of them!), I couldn't help but make more!

I like the smaller size of this little one just a bit more than the taller version.

purse frame coin purses

This one is my favorite shape, by far. I made darts instead of just boxing the bottom, and I really love the more rounded shape.

IMGP0599

I tried making a shorter version of this one, but I added batting & it just didn't work out, so I'll have to try again. I've still got a few frames left, including one I "reclaimed" from a photo album, so I'm excited to try out more shapes/sizes. Seriously, these things are addicting! If you've been thinking about trying them but haven't gotten up the nerve, give it a try! I promise if I can do it, you can too!

If anybody is interested in how I make mine or that zip pouch, let me know & I can take pictures for a tutorial the next time I make one.

Until next time...

8 comments:

  1. You are quite the pouch queen! I'm so glad you got a chance to post these! They are all so great. I love the elephant pouch and the frame pouches are just too cool. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that elephant pouch! Since you worked so hard at coming up with it, would you ever do a tutorial on it? That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those pouches! That front zip elephant pouch is just adorable. I'd never thought of using darts with purse frames for a more rounded look, will have to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! You sure were a pouch making machine this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! They all turned out great, and you sure have one lucky partner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all really cute! I just ordered my first bunch of frames (and glue lol) and a whole pile of new zippers too, so I think I'll be busy after Christmas making up loads of bags and pouches and purses :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all so cute, love them all. I've got a frame I got free with Molly Makes but I've yet to try it and I really should.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, love 'em! Especially the ones with the metal frames. I've wanted to try making a clutch with a larger version of those frames but am intimidated by the process. Yours turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)