Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WIP Wednesday #13

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Lucky #13, huh? I've had a pretty good (and productive) week, so I say yes!

Need to start: A Christmas present (for last year), the May String Me Along block, and a crochet blanket. I'm also thinking about getting a head start on next month's sew along project, but we'll see about that.

Started: Two Keyka Lou basic wallets. These have been on my list for way too long. In fact, I looked back at the last to-do list on my bulletin board, and my self-imposed due date for these was October 31. I'm pretty sure that was pushed back from the beginning of October as well, so it's about time I got working on them.

IMGP0147

IMGP0148

These are actually pretty quick & easy to put together, without much cutting or fusing, so I'm not even sure why I put them off for so long. Just one of those things, I suppose!

I also spent last night sorting all my I-spy squares into groups by the alphabet. I've decided I'd like to do a wall hanging/play mat/blanket/something-or-other for Goose using them. I was thinking I'd like to use the pieces to make the letters of the alphabet, but then got to thinking maybe I'll use them for the background & do the letters from solids. I'm not sure yet, so it's still very much a work in progress. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done, but it was something I got in my head, and it was nice to sit in the nice, cool basement for an hour & sort through all those squares.

IMGP0156

Obviously I'm missing a few letters! Any ideas for J, N, Q, X, Y, and Z? I'm thinking I could use solid yellow for the Ys & a zebra print for the Zs (I'm hoping to do capital & lower-case letters). We'll see how (if) it all comes together.

In Progress: Goose's postage stamp quilt! That's right, it's back off the "on hold" list. I got the rest of the pairs sewn together and 2/3 of them pressed & pinned together to start my blocks. I estimated at one point that I would be able to make 42 blocks (remember, mine are 5x6 instead of 5x5), and I ended up with 41 blocks & six strips of 3 solid/2 pattern left over. So essentially exactly enough for 42 blocks, although I'm not sure how I ended up with extra of just the one kind. Unfortunately, that doesn't even leave me with enough of the right squares to unpick & resew them, so I'll have to work them in to the back or something. Of course, that also means I can't do my quilt 6 blocks by 7 blocks, so I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I guess I can make it one row less & work the extra blocks into the back. I'll figure something out!

IMGP0154

Completed: I was able to finish up the fire pit cover this weekend, I ended up going the "belt loop" route. I liked the idea of doing grommets, and may end up switching to them at some point, but this works for now.

IMGP0144

The drawstring doesn't slide through the loops as easily as I would have liked, which makes it kind of a pain to tie since it has to gather around the edge of the fire pit. It does its job for now though, so we'll see how it holds up to the storms & sun this summer.

IMGP0149

I also finished up both Keyka Lou basic wallets in just a couple hours. It would have been much less, but I screwed up at the very end of the first one. I was putting in the magnetic snap (I very much prefer it to Velcro) & when I checked the placement after putting it in, I thought it opened kind of funny. It was lined up perfectly (lots of trial & error on placement over the past year!), but the pieces didn't pull apart as easily as I remembered. I figured it was fine, and went on my merry way sewing up the opening & top stitching the flap (using my new favorite double top stitching). It looked as close to perfect as I was going to get it!

IMGP0151

As I was getting ready to put in the first half of the snap on the second wallet, I grabbed the reinforcement washer to mark the slots when I realized I hadn't gotten out a second snap yet, and really shouldn't have another washer on my sewing table. That's when I realized why the first one felt off when I was opening it, I didn't put in the washer! ARGH! I went back & forth about ripping out the (double, of course!) top stitching & adding the washer or just starting over from scratch. In the ended I opted for ripping out the stitching & salvaging the original, but it was still pretty frustrating. In the end, it worked out alright, but it made for a frustrating day!

Inside
IMGP0152

Back
IMGP0153

Holy cow, I almost forgot my biggest completion of the week! I got the Perfectly Pleated Clutch finished up! It only took staying up until midnight last Wednesday. :)

Perfectly Pleated Clutch

On Hold: The last two Origami Bags. It actually crossed my mind to do them quick this weekend rather than the wallets, but since the wallets are for somebody who probably thinks I've completely forgotten about them, I decided they were a higher priority. And I can't work on anything but Goose's quilt right now since every single pin I own is in use. I guess that's one way to make myself work on something! :)

Head over to Freshly Pieced to see what everybody else has been up to.

Until next time...

16 comments:

  1. Cool, you made some awesome progress this week!! I love your little wallets, so cute, and the alphabet I Spy quilt is an awesome idea. I'll go through my novelty fabrics and see if I can find anything that works for those letters you're missing, but nothing comes to mind immediately. Your fire pit cover looks awesome, too, great job! Happy WiP Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you WERE super productive this week! I love your wallets and the pleated clutch is fantastic! Glad to see you working on your postage stamp quilt too. Great job on the fire pit cover too, looks like a big cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing that came to mind for J was jumprope, but I was mistaken. I thought Sherbet Pips had a jump rope one. I might have some Juniper in a Christmas print but love the idea.

    For the fire pit cover, what kind of rope/tie are you using? Looks on the thin size which might be part of the problem. Its not sliding so well. Otherwise fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to surf in from WIP Wednesday because I'm doing my I-Spy quilt now too. I love I-Spy squares. For J, you could do Jack o'Lanterns. For Q, you could just do a little patchwork of tiny squares as if the letter is a Quilt. For x, you could do X-ray and use a Halloween print of a skeleton or skull with white on black. Cheers! Riel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderfully productive week, it sounds like. Those wallets are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are rocking it! Those Keyka Lou wallets are so cute. And your I-spy quilt is going to be adorable! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you had a TON of progress this week! I love, love, love your firepit cover, that is genius! Your wallets look great too, even though you had to redo one! You can't even tell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wallets are great. I had a similar issue with my origami bags- I sewed a tab to the inside of one of the bags. I was so frustrated with them already that I opted to leave it. I admire your patience.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fire pit cover turned out great and I love the little wallets. Nice fabrics. Your postage stamp quilt is further along than mine, I am still sewing the strip sets together. Mine are 1.5 inch strips and I ran out of the white/off white for the neutral strips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of the I-Spy/Alphabet quilt! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is real nice! the pleated clutch is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those wallets! Great fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely projects!

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow look at you!! I just love those wallets, and your pleated pouch is amazing!! I just started mine, and can't wait to finish it, hopefully it turns out as nicely as yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love your idea for the alphabet quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute little purse and pouches

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)