Sunday, August 8, 2010

Rookie Mistakes

We all make them!

So tell me, what's wrong with this picture?


No, not the less-than-pretty wrong-side embroidery.

Here, how about another look:


A little hint - those were both wrong sides of the fabric.

You give up?

Here, maybe this one will make it a little more clear:


Yes, those are two pieces RIGHT sides together. With the cotton batting between. Which means the batting would have been on the outside, instead of the inside.

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't realize this until I had it all completely sewn together & ready to turn right side out. Sigh...

Yesterday was a rough one. First I sewed a couple wallet pieces together with one piece going the wrong direction, and then I did this. Thankfully I was able to get both projects finished up (pieces were already cut out, and the embroidering was finished before I started yesterday) before we went to a friend's birthday party where I had to deliver them. And both recipients were really happy with the final product, so in the end it was a success.

I know we all make stupid mistakes, so I've gotten to the point where all I can do is shake my head & laugh it off because it doesn't do any good to get too upset about it. But really, I can't believe some of the things I screw up sometimes. The most basic things! I guess there's a reason pretty much every single sewing book I pick up says to get used to the idea that your seam ripper will be your best friend, no matter what you might think. We might as well just accept it & move on! :)

I hope your weekend was more productive than mine. If I'd been able to spend more time sewing than ripping out what I'd just sewn, maybe it wouldn't have been so bad. :)

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. oh boy. I have so been there. At least it's all fixable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm VERY thankful for that! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each & every one I get. I do try to respond to most (if not all) comments, but that's hard to do if you don't have an e-mail in your profile! :)